What is a UK Visa?
A United Kingdom (UK) visa is the document of authorization which gives worldwide citizens the authority to enter into the territory of the UK for a temporary or permanent stay. The UK consulate or embassy in applicant country gives UK visas either in the form of a stamp in the passport or a document.
The European Union (EU) nationals countries can enter into the UK for free, but the other nationals living outside EU may need to apply for the UK visa application to get the entry into the territory of the UK. The procedure to apply for the UK visa application depends upon the type and category of visa.
The UK visa application can be applied, if the applicant wants to:
- Do business or work
- Visit the UK for a short-term or tourism
- Join or visit family members already living in the UK
- Live permanently
- Enter as a refugee or on a humanitarian protection basis
- Come as a stateless person
- Use the UK as a transit country to reach other destination
The fees for the UK visa application is vary depending upon the country, category and type of visa you are applying.
What are the required documents for UK visa?
The primary required documents for UK visa are listed below
- Current passport or other viable travel identification. The passport should be valid until your whole stay in the UK.
- Certified translated documents that are not in English or Welsh.
You’ll be informed about how to provide your documents when you apply.
The other list of documents for UK visa are listed below,
- Staying details during the visit to the UK
- Cost estimation of trip
- The planned dates to travel to the UK
- Details about the home address you are currently living and period you’ve been living there
- Names of parents and their dates of birth
- Yours earning in a year
You also might be asked also need to provide:
- Travel history detail for the past ten years.
- The address of your employer’s and their telephone number
- Information about your partner’s name, date of birth, and passport number
- The details about name and full address of the person who is paying for the trip to the UK
- Details of your any family members who are living in the UK
- Details of any criminal or law breaking-offenses you have committed
Choosing the right UK visa type
It is essential to consider the purpose of visiting the UK and apply for the right type.
The different types of UK visa are:
- Work Visas
- Business Visas
- Visitor Visas
- Study Visas
- Family Visas
- Settlement Visas
- Transit Visas
UK Student Visa
Purpose: The students who want to apply to the UK as a full-time student. No work permit is allowed.
The students from all over the world come in UK to gain education from world’s best school, colleges and universities. There are different categories of UK student visa which are based upon the enrolled program and its span.
- Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa: This UK student visa category is for foreigners between the age of 4 to 17 years and wish to enroll in a course at UK’s independent school, whose studies comes at or under the category of level 2 of the National Qualifications Framework. The applicant from outside the UK needs to pay £348 to apply for a Tier 4 (Child) student visa.
- Tier 4 (General) Student Visa: This visa category is for the foreigner aged at least 16 years and wishes to enroll in the studies in the UK. The current fee for this visa category is £348 (~US$440), and for any dependent, you need to pay an additional cost of £348 fee per person. The applicant also needs to pay healthcare surcharge of National Health Service (NHS) during the stay in the UK that costs £300 (~US$380) per year.
- Short Term Study Visa: This visa category is for the foreigners who want to visit the UK for study programs which last for short-term mainly up to 6 or 11 months. In this category, the applicant needs to pay £97 (~US$120) for six months and £186 (~US$240) for 11 months.
There are various types of UK work visas based upon the purpose and working categories.
Purpose: The high-end professionals wish to work in the UK for a shorter or longer period.
- Tier 1 Visas: This visa category includes highly qualified foreigners: exceptional talents, entrepreneurs and investors who can add value to the productivity and growth of the UK.
This category covers high-end professions i.e.
- Doctors (Physicians)
- Finance experts
- IT specialists
- Tier 2 Visas: The foreigner’s skilled workers, who are not the nationals of EEA (EU countries, including Liechtenstein, Norway, and Iceland) or Switzerland, and usually get transferred to work in the branch present in the UK of an international company, spokesperson and ministries of religion.
- Tier 3 Visas: The foreigner’s low-skilled workers with a job offer in the UK that fills temporary gaps in the UK resident workforce Includes jobs in the field of food processing, agriculture, and hospitality sector.
- Tier 5 Visas: This working visa category is for the foreigners looking out to get temporary jobs in creative, sporting, religion, charity, and youth mobility scheme. Every year during holidays, there are about 55,000 youngsters works through this visa.
The cost of UK work visa depends upon the type of work visa and the period you are staying in the UK. A Tier 2(General) visa is valid for up to 3 years, and it costs £575.
Purpose: If you want to enter the UK for business purposes, e.g., sign contracts, conduct interviews or conferences, visit a site or arrange deals
The UK is facing a challenging situation in staying global attraction for international businesses. Despite a scene of Brexit negotiations and therefore the United Kingdom Government’s pledge to reduce immigrants in the country, the economy will still depend upon both overseas talent and investment to stay competitive on a worldwide scale. The categories lie in business visa type are listed as follows,
- Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa: This visa category is valid for three years and four months, issued to international businesspersons who are willing to invest £50,000 to £200,000 in the UK.
- Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur Visa UK: This visa category issued to the foreigner graduates who are non-EEA member, and having an innovative business idea.
- Tier 1 Investor Visa UK: This visa category issued to foreigners who want to invest their money in the UK. For this visa, on have to pay £1,561 in either case: applying from out or within the UK.
Note: It’s been reports that Tier 1 Investor Visa UK would be suspended for the 2019 fiscal year, but the now the suspension put on hold.
- Turkish Businessperson Visa
Purpose: If you want to travel to the UK for tourism or short span staying. You are not allowed to work within the UK work on this visa type.
- Parent of a Tier 4 Child Student Visa: This visa is for the parents who accompany their child comes under Tier 4 Child Student visa category, during their study stay in the UK.
- Permitted Paid Engagement Visa: This visa category allows non-EEA nationals to enter the UK for short-term to participates in a paid engagement such as chairing a meeting, public speaking engagement, or attending a conference.
- Short Term Study Visa: This visa category is for the participants who enrolled in a short-term study program, last mainly up to 6 or 11 months.
- Standard Visitor visa: The visa category allows the non-EEA members to enter into the UK for tourism, medical treatment, visit family members or professional reasons. The standard visitor visa costs cost £95. The fee of standard visa for a long-term depends upon the length of staying. i.e., £361 for 2 years, £655 for 5 years and £822 for 10 years.
- Visa for a Chinese Tour Group
- Marriage visitor visa,
Purpose: If you want to join family members living in the UK already for more than six months as their dependent.
- UK Spouse Visa: This visa category is for people who want to join their spouse or fiance in the United Kingdom who are a British citizen or settled person. The requirements for a spouse visa are quite challenging. You have to provide extensive documents for proving genuity of relationship. Moreover, your partner who is sponsoring you, has to earn over £18,600 a year and also have adequate housing provisions. You are allowed to study or work within the UK after spouse visa granted.
- UK Parent Visa: British citizens having parents who are living outside the United Kingdom can take them to the UK through the Parent Visa, comes under the category of Family Visa.
- UK Child Visa: The Child visa is for children of UK citizens who want to join their British parent in the United Kingdom should apply under this category.
The Settlement visa permit also knows as Indefinite Leave to Remain, is for the person living in the UK for an extended period on a temporary visa and now willing to apply for a permanent one. The applicant must have to live a minimum period of 5 years in the United Kingdom to become eligible to apply for this visa category
Purpose: The foreigners who are not the nationals of EEA and are using the UK as a transit country, not to stay there, to reach their destination.
- Direct Airside Transit Visa (DATV): this category is for those who want to temporary stay to change the flight in the UK without leaving the domain of the airport.
- Visitor in Transit Visa: This visa can be valid up to 4 days for those who want to leave the airport to pick another mean of transport to reach their destination country.
Refugees and Stateless Persons Visa
This visa type is for the person who has the life-threatening situation in their own country and about to enter into the UK or at the borders. The visa application for this category applied within the UK, and with the possibility of extension, this visa is valid up to 2 to 6 years.